The Purpose and Example of News Item Text
The Purpose and Example of News Item Text
One more material of studying kind of texts we will discuss, it is about The Purpose and Example of News Item Text. However, in this material, we will also the meaning, the generic structure, and the language features of News Item Text.
The Meaning of News Item Text
News Item is a text which used to inform readers, listeners, or viewers about events of the day which are considered newsworthy or important. We often find it in a newspaper because the passage often tells the readers about a great, important, interesting, tragic, entertaining, or fresh incident or event that all people should know about it. (Also read another article at : The Purpose and Generic Structure of Hortatory Exposition Text)
The Purpose or Function of News Item Text
By understanding the meaning of News Item Text, it can be concluded that The Purpose of News Item Text is to inform the readers about newsworthy or important events of the day.
Generic Structure of News Item Text
- Main Events / Newsworthy event(s): it recounts the event in summary form.
- Elaboration / Background event(s): they elaborate on what happened, to whom, in what circumstance.
- Resource of Information (Source) : it contains comments by participants in, witnesses to, and authorities expert on the event
Language Feature of News Item Text
- Focusing on circumstances (using a simple language in writing the text)
- Using saying verbs: “….”, example: She said, informed, told, reported.
- Sometimes at the beginning of news, the scene is mentioned : Surabaya – … .. / Manila – …
- Using Past tense in explaining news events. But if it is a fact that until now still happen or still in the form of fact, then can use the simple present tense.
- Short, telegraphic information about the story captured in the headline
- Using adverbs: time, place, and manner.
- Uses of material processes to retell the event
- (Also read another article at : Pengertian Hak Asasi Manusia atau HAM)
Example of News Item Text
Seven Killed in Accident on Jalan Sultan
Main Events / Newsworthy Event
Seven people were killed in a collision between a bus, a car, and a truck at 10:35 p.m. on Jalan Sultan last night.
Elaboration / Backgroud Event
The dead were all passengers in the car. Police believe the car may have been trying to overtake the bus when it was struck by a truck coming from the opposite direction. The driver of the car may not have been using his lights, as the truck driver said he did not see the car approaching.
Resource of Information
The police said the car should not have been trying to pass the bus, since overtaking is not allowed on Jalan Sultan. In addition, the police reported that the car–a small Japanese car–should not have been carrying more than five people. The names of the victims are not yet known. (Also read another article at : Aku Dibenci oleh Ibu Kandungku)
Facing Jail for Highway-Blocking Marriage Proposal
HOUSTON, Dec. 16 (UPI) – A man who stopped traffic on a busy stretch of Houston interstate for his marriage proposal is facing the possibility of jail for his gesture, police said.
Vidal Valladares Navas, 24, recruited friends to drive their cars along his on Interstate 45 Sunday and stop on a spot with a view of the city’s skyline so he could get his girlfriend out of the car and propose in the road.”There were about 8 cars with me and we just lined up — 4 and 4 — and we just stopped,” Valladares Navas told KTRK-TV.
Valladares Navas’ intended, Michelle Wycoff, 23, was unaware of the proposal plans, but quickly accepted.”I said, ‘Are you serious?’” Wycoff told the Houston Chronicle. “Then I saw all my family and friends with cameras and I looked where Vidal was and he was down on one knee.
“Honestly, I didn’t think about if it was a good idea or a bad idea. I was just so happy at the moment. I love him so much,” she said.
That’s all I can share about The Purpose and Example of News Item Text we can share. Hopefully, the material of The Purpose and Example of News Item Text above will be useful for understanding our English. (Also read another article at : Latihan USBN Penjaskes SMP Bagian 4)