History of Sidoarjo Regency

History of Sidoarjo Regency

History of Sidoarjo Regency

History of Sidoarjo Regency

       The area of ​​Sidoarjo Regency is in the lowlands. Sidoarjo is known as the Delta City, because it is located between two large rivers (fragments of Brantas River), namely the Mas River and the Porong River. The city of Sidoarjo is in the south of Surabaya, and geographically both cities are as if they are one. (Also read : Legend of Jombang)

       Sidoarjo was once known as the center of the Kingdom of Janggala. During the Dutch East Indies colonialism, the Sidoarjo area was named Sidokare, which it was part of the Surabaya Regency. The Sidokare area was led by a governor named R. Ng. Djojohardjo, residing in Pucang Anom kampong, assisted by a wedana, named Bagus Ranuwiryo, who lived in Pangabahan kampong.

       In 1859, based on the Decree of the Netherlands Indies Government No. 9/1859 dated of 31 January 1859 No. Staatsblad 6, the Regency of Surabaya was divided into two parts, namely Surabaya Regency and Sidokare Regency. Sidokare was led by R. Notopuro (later titled R.T.P Tjokronegoro) from Kasepuhan. He was the son of R.A.P. Tjokronegoro, Regent of Surabaya. On May 28, 1859, the name of the Regency of Sidokare, which it had a less good connotation, was changed to Sidoarjo Regency. (Also read other article at : Beautiful Red Rose Flower) read more