Expression of Greeting and Leave Taking. In communication it is normally to start and also finish our communication when we meet someone. There are many expression that we use to start communication and finish communication. Here I want to share about it.
When we meet someone we know, we usually greet him/her whatever formal or informal.
The formal greetings are usually used when we meet someone whom we respect.
Informal greeting is used when we meet someone we already know each other, like classmates, close friend, or friend. The greeting expression, are:
Greeting is usually followed by asking the condition of someone
|Asking / Questions|
How are you?
How is life?
How do you do?
How is everything with you?
How are you doing
Not bad, thanks
How do you do?
Pretty well. Thanks
I am very well thanks
- Leave taking/partings
Leave taking usually used if we part with someone we know. It’s divided into formal and informal parting
Nice to see you
It’s nice to meet you
Nice to see you, too
Nice to meet you, too
See you later
See you tomorrow
- Good morning: since get up in the morning until have lunch (00.00 – 12.00)
- Good day/noon at about 12.00
- Good afternoon: since 12.00 up to 18.00
- Good Evening: since 18.00 up to 24.00(00.00)
- Good night is used before sleeping.
- P.m. (post merediem) = 12.00 up to 24.00
- A.m (Ante merediem) = 24.00 up to 12.00
Examples of Greeting and leave taking :
Teacher : “Good morning students”
Students : “Good morning sir”
Teacher : “How are you today?”
Students : “We are fine. And you?”