Expression of Asking and Giving Clarification
There are some expressions we can use when we don’t understand what someone has said, so that someone will clarify what he/she has said. So in this occasion we will share a material about Expression of Asking and Giving Clarification in which the material will be divided into three topics, they are Expression of Asking for Giving Clarification, Expression of Giving Clarification and some examples in dialogue. (Also study : Expression of Giving Appreciation)
The explanations about Expression of Asking and Giving Clarification are as below:
A. Expression of Asking for Giving Clarification
Some Expression of Asking Clarification can be shown as below:
- Could you clarify that, please?
- Could you explain that, please?
- What do you mean by that?
- Could you repeat, please?
- Could you put it differently, please?
- What do you mean by…?
- Do you mean…?
- Could you say that again, please?
- Would you elaborate on that, please?
- Could you be more explicit?
- Could you explain what you mean by…?
- Could you give us an example?
- I wonder if you could say that in a different way.
- Could you be more specific, please?
- Sorry, Could you ……?
B. Expression of Giving Clarification
There some Expressions to clarify our idea as below:
- Let me clarify it for you…
- Let me explain that…
- Let me explain that in more detail…
- Let me put it in another way…
- Sorry, let me explain…
- In other words …
- To say this differently…
- To put it differently…
C. Examples of Expression of Asking and Giving Clarification in dialogue:
Dialogue 1 (Also read other article at : Twilight Beautiful Night)
Teacher : Why do you come late?
Student : I’m sorry, Mum. I come late because i must drop at a shop
Teacher : What do you do that for?