Expression of Calling on the Phone
In this occasion we would like to share about Expression of Calling on the Phone because nowadays we know that People spend a lot of time talking on the phone. Phone calls will be different depending on the situation. For example, a group of friends will use different language on the phone than business associates. So it is important to know some Expression of Calling on the Phone. (also read : Reservation Check-in and Check-out the Hotel)
Let’s go to the material of Expression of Calling on the Phone as below.
Common Telephone Phrases of Expression of Calling on the Phone for the Person Make Phone Call
- Who is speaking, please?
- Could you speak up, please
- Who would you like to speak to?
- Oh sorry, I think I’ve dialed the wrong number
- I didn’t understand what you just said.
- Can I speak to …. (give the person’s name), please?
- Could you ask …. (give the person’s name) to call me back?
- Please speak more slowly.
- Could you call me back again tomorrow morning?
- What is your phone number?
- Could you please repeat that?
- Can you hear me clearly?
- Just a moment, please!
- Could you spell that, please?
- Please say each number separately.
- Hold the line, please!
- The number is busy.
- May I hold on the line.
- I am sorry can’t hear you.
- I am sorry I can’t understand you.
- Please speak slowly, I am having a difficult time understanding you.
- Who am I speaking to?
- Who is calling?
- The line was disconnected.
- Please connect me to ….(give the name or the person, or the extensions)
- Good morning
- Good afternoon
- Good evening
- How are you?
- This is …. (give your name)
- This is …. (give your name), from …. (state place, or company).
- Hello this … (give your name)
Requesting Someone –
- Can I please speak to …. (give the person’s name)
- I would like to speak to…(give the person’s name)
- Is ….(give the person’s name) available.
- Is it possible to speak to ….(give the person’s name).
- I need to speak to ….(give the person’s name)
When Party (the person you are trying to call) is Unavailable
- May I leave a message, please?
- Do you know when he/she will be available?
- Do you know when he/she will return to the office/home?
- I will call back later/in an hour/tomorrow.
- Please tell him …..(give your name) called, and I will call later/call again.
- Please have him/she call me back.
- Can I leave my telephone number? My phone number is…..(give your number)?
- Please have him/her contact at ……(state a place or a phone number).
- Where/How can I reach him/her?
- What is her/his mobile phone number/Cell/Cellular phone number?
- May I send you a fax?
- What is your fax number?
- Did you receive my fax?
- I send a fax to…. (give person’s name), did he/she receive it?
- Alright, I will call again later then. Thank you.
- thanks for calling
- Thanks bye
- Good bye
- You’re welcome. Bye
- See you
Examples in Dialogue of Calling on the Phone
Calling on the Phone 1
Martha: Hey is Risty there?
Nindy: Uh, yeah. Who’s this?
B: It’s Martha.
Nindy: Wait a minute, Martha (Hang on just a second) … Risty, phone’s for you.