Generic Structure of Explanation Text. As we know there are many kinds of text in English, and I have share some of them. For this occasion, I want to share again about kinds of text and in this case I want to share about explanation text. In this post I will share about the definition, generic structure, language feature, and example of explanation text. Let’s go to the topic.
- Definition and purpose of Explanation
Explanation is a text which tells processes relating to forming of natural, social, scientific and cultural phenomena. Explanation text is to say ‘why’ and ‘how’ of the forming of the phenomena. It is often found in science, geography and history text books.
- Generic structure of Explanation
- General statement; stating the phenomenon issues which are to be explained.
- Sequenced explanation; stating a series of steps which explain the phenomena.
- (Closing); atually this is not mentioned in explanation text, however, many people think that the last of paragraph is clossing, in which it is actually part of sequenced explanation
- Language Feature
- Featuring generic participant; sun, rain, etc.
- Using chronological connection; to begin with, next, etc.
- Using passive voice pattern
- Using simple present tense
- Example and structure of the text
Making Paper from Woodchips
|A general statement||Wood-chipping is a process used to obtain pulp and paper products from forest trees.|
|A sequenced||The wood-chipping process begins when the trees are cut down in a selected area of the forest called a coupe.|
|explanation of||Next the tops and branches of the trees are cut out and then the logs are taken to the mill.|
|why or how something occurs||At the mill the bark of the logs is removed and the logs are taken to a chipper which cuts them into small pieces called woodchips.|
|The woodchips are then screened to remove dirt and other impurities. At this stage they are either exported in this form or changed into pulp by chemicals and heat.|
|The pulp is then bleached and the water content is removed.|
|Closing||Finally the pulp is rolled out to make paper.|
Other Example of Explanation Text