History of Padang City
History of Padang City
As we know, the city of Padang is the capital of the province of West Sumatra. The city which is famous for the legend of Malin Kundang and Siti Nurbaya is directly adjacent to the sea and hills, so it automatically has a variety of interesting tourist attractions. (Also read : Legend of Semarang City)
The city of Padang has a diverse culture, the types of people are also diverse, the customs are coded with sarak, sarak is codenamed Kitabullah that is the slogan of the Minang community that is inherent today. The city is very famous for its exceptional culinary delights.
Not only domestically, Padang restaurants also exist in foreign countries with appetizing food menus, for example rendang. Besides the food, Padang also has a very thick culture.
Well, you certainly want to know about the history of the City of Padang. The following is the history.
In the 14th century
The Old City area in Padang was once one of the rantau areas which was established by nomads in the Minangkabau area of the highlands or also called Darek.
The first settlement place was a settlement on the southern edge of the Batang Arau River, in what is now called Seberang Pebayan, which was included in the territory of the Pagaruyung Kingdom.
Before the Minangkabau inland communities descended from Solok and Agam to the coast, Padang City was only a lowland with dense forests. (Also read other article at : Angin Muson Barat dan Angin Muson Timur)
The development of the city of Padang became a trading port starting in the mid-14th century based on the policy of the ruler Pagaruyung at that time who began to establish trade relations with the west coast of Sumatra.
In the 15th – 17th century
Since the 15th century until the 17th century, the city of Padang was in the sovereignty of the Kingdom of Aceh, and only became a fishing village. However, since the arrival of the Dutch merchant Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie (VOC) in 1663 which slowly removed the Kingdom of Aceh in 1666 to make the city of Padang its headquarters for the west coast of Sumatra (Sumatra Westkust).
A port was built at the mouth of the Batang Arau river, because this area has a vast estuary and is good for trading vessels.
December 31, 1799
The entire VOC power was taken over by the Dutch government by forming a colonial government and Padang was made the center of the Resident’s position.
March 1, 1906
An ordinance was born which stipulated Padang as a regional settlement (STAL 1906 No.151) which took effect April 1, 1906.
March 9, 1950
Padang was returned to the Republic of Indonesia, which was a state through the Republic of Indonesia Presidential Decree (RIS), No.111 March 9, 1950. (Also read other article at : Guru Sosok Pendorong Perjuangan)
August 15, 1950
Decree of the Governor of Central Sumatra No. 65 / GP-50, dated August 15, 1950 stipulates that the Padang City Government as a temporary autonomous region awaits its stipulation in accordance with Law No. 225 of 1948. At that time the city of Padang was expanded, the authority of Padang was removed and its business moved to the Mayor of Padang.
May 29, 1958
West Sumatra Governor Decree No. 1 / g / PD / 1958, dated 29 May 1958 defactively (De Facto) determined the city of Padang to be the capital of the province of West Sumatra.
Legally (De Jure) Padang became the capital of West Sumatra, which was marked by the issuance of Law No.5 of 1974 concerning the Principles of Government in the Region, with the Municipality of Padang being made an autonomous region and an administrative area headed by a Mayor.
That’s all the post about the History of Padang City we can share for this occasion. We hope the post about the History of Blitar City above can add our knowledge about the History of Padang City. (Also read other article at : Soal PTS Penjaskes Kelas 7 Semester 1)