History of Jakarta City
History of Jakarta City
Jakarta is the capital city of Indonesia. This metropolitan city is the only city in Indonesia that has provincial level status. Jakarta has an area of approximately 661.52 km² (sea approximately 6,977.5 km²), with its population of 10,374,235 people (2017). The Jakarta metropolitan area (Jabotabek = Jakarta – Bogor – Tangerang – Bekasi), which has a population of around 28 million, is the largest metropolitan in Indonesia or the sixth in the world. (Also read : History the Name of Indonesia)
Before being known as Jakarta, this port city was originally named Sunda Kelapa, but on June 22, 1527 Prince Fatahillah destroyed Sunda Kelapa and instead established the city of Jayakarta in this area. This date (June 22, 1527) is then set as the date of the establishment of the City of Jakarta.
The city of Jayakarta developed as a busy port city, where traders from China, India, Arabia and Europe as well as from other countries exchanged goods or commodities.
In 1619, the Dutch Government (VOC) under the leadership of Jan Pieterszoon Coen destroyed Jayakarta and immediately built a new city located in the western part of the Ciliwung river, which he named this new city as Batavia. The name was taken from the Batavieren, the ancestor of the Dutch.
Batavia was planned and built almost similar to cities in the Netherlands, namely built in the form of blocks, each block was separated by canals and protected by walls as fortresses, and ditches. Batavia was completed in 1650. Old Batavia was the residence of the Europeans, while the Chinese, Javanese and other indigenous people were removed to other places. (Also read other article at : Beautiful Nature of Indonesia)
In its heyday of this city, Batavia, known as the “Jewel of the East”, was occupied by the VOC and later it was finally occupied by the Dutch government which spread wide in the East Indies archipelago.
When Japan began entering Batavia, on August 8, 1942 the name Batavia was changed to Jakarta Toko Betsu Shi. However, Japan’s leadership did not last long in Indonesia. They surrendered unconditionally to the allies after experiencing defeat in World War II and then Indonesia proclaimed its independence. Furthermore, in September 1945, the Jakarta city government made a new name for this region, namely the Jakarta City National Government.
After independence, the Dutch had an ambition to dominate Indonesia through NICA. Precisely on February 20, 2950, NICA changed the name of Jakarta to Stad Gemeente Batavia. One month later, on March 24, 1950 the name of this city changed to City of Praj’a, Jakarta. After the position of Jakarta was declared a self-reliant area, on January 18, 1958 the name Jakarta changed again to the City of Djakarta Raya. In 1961 the Jakarta Special Capital Region Government was formed (with PP No. 2 of 1961 jo Law No. 2 PNPS 1961). (Also read other article at : Kado Rasa Stroberi)
Jakarta obtained the official name of the Capital of the Republic of Indonesia in 1966. After the reformation period in 1999, through UU No.24 of 1999 concerning the Regional Provincial Government of the Capital of the Republic of Indonesia Jakarta, the local government changed its name to the Provincial Government of the Special Capital Region of Jakarta and with its permanent autonomy located at the provincial level and not in the city, namely the DKI Jakarta Province.
That’s all the post about the History of Jakarta City we can share for this occasion. We hope the post about the History of Blitar City above can add our knowledge about the History of Jakarta City. (Also read other article at : Soal PAT Prakarya Kelas 7 SMP)