Generic Structure and Purpose of Announcement
Once again we want to share about Functional text. In this care we want to share about Generic Structure and Purpose of Announcement. Although the title is Generic Structure and Purpose of Announcement but in this session we will discuss about the definition, purpose, generic structure, language feature, kinds and the example of Announcement. (also read : Generic Structure of Notice Text)
Let’s go to the material of Generic Structure and Purpose of Announcement:
Definition of Announcement
An announcement is a written or spoken statement in public or formal words containing information about an event that has happened or is going to happen so publicly people know what, when, and where it is about.
Function of Announcement
An announcement is used for giving people some information of what has happened or what will happen.
Generic Structure of Announcement
- Stating Purpose: The text that contains what event will be held
- Stating Day and Date: Day and Date realization. The text that contains when the event will be held
- Stating Place: The text that contains where the event will be held
- Informing Sender: The text that contains name of the person who will be contacted
Language Feature of Announcement
- Using Simple Present Tense and simple future tense.
Example of words used in announcement
- a) Due to some technical problems, the show will…
- b) We apologize for the inconvenience
- c) Hi, Guys! Our neighborhood will hold a fund Raising Activity next month
- Using exact noun
- Pronunciation and Intonation (spoken announcement)
- Spelling and Punctuation
Kinds of Announcement
- public service announcements,
- high school graduation announcements,
- college graduation announcements,
- engagement announcements,
- marriage and wedding announcements,
- pregnancy announcements,
- birth announcements,
- adoption announcements,
- school student’s organization announcements,
- save the date announcements,
- moving announcements,
- business announcements,
- job announcements,
- promotion announcements,
- retirement announcements,
- funeral announcements
- lost and found
After discussing about Generic Structure and Purpose of Announcement, it’s including the definition, purpose, generic structure, language feature, kinds and the example of Announcement, now the example of announcement to understand better on what and how an announcement is written. Here they are:
This announcement is addressed to all 12 graders of SMA Taruna Sidoarjo.
Please attend the additional lessons that will be held on September 24th 2016 until March 28th 2017 for having final preparation for the final exam.
All students are required to take an additional class to be successful in national exam.
To : All Students of SMPN 1 Tarik
There will be a welcoming ceremony next Monday, September 21, 2016, to
welcome the exchange students Program from Japan.
All students must wear Batik uniforms. And must be polite.
From : The Principal of SMPN 1 Tarik
That’s all about Generic Structure and Purpose of Announcement we can share. We hope that our article above can improve our English, especially in understanding short functional text about Generic Structure and Purpose of Announcement. (also read : Generic Structure of Explanation Text)