Expression of Asking and Giving Clarification
There are some expressions we can use when we don’t understand what someone has said, so that someone will clarify what he/she has said. So in this occasion we will share a material about Expression of Asking and Giving Clarification in which the material will be divided into three topics, they are Expression of Asking for Giving Clarification, Expression of Giving Clarification and some examples in dialogue. (Also study : Expression of Giving Appreciation)
The explanations about Expression of Asking and Giving Clarification are as below:
A. Expression of Asking for Giving Clarification
Some Expression of Asking Clarification can be shown as below:
- Could you clarify that, please?
- Could you explain that, please?
- What do you mean by that?
- Could you repeat, please?
- Could you put it differently, please?
- What do you mean by…?
- Do you mean…?
- Could you say that again, please?
- Would you elaborate on that, please?
- Could you be more explicit?
- Could you explain what you mean by…?
- Could you give us an example?
- I wonder if you could say that in a different way.
- Could you be more specific, please?
- Sorry, Could you ……?
B. Expression of Giving Clarification
There some Expressions to clarify our idea as below:
- Let me clarify it for you…
- Let me explain that…
- Let me explain that in more detail…
- Let me put it in another way…
- Sorry, let me explain…
- In other words …
- To say this differently…
- To put it differently…
C. Examples of Expression of Asking and Giving Clarification in dialogue:
Dialogue 1 (Also read other article at : Twilight Beautiful Night)
Teacher : Why do you come late?
Student : I’m sorry, Mum. I come late because i must drop at a shop
Teacher : What do you do that for?
Student : for buying something
Teacher : What do you do mean something?
Student : What i mean is a book
Bayu : Excuse me, I don’t think we have met. I’m Bayu. What is your name, please?
Sinta : I’m Sinta
Bayu : Sorry, Could you spell it, please?
Sinta : Sinta. S-I-N-T-A
Dinda : Hai, Frans. Are you alright?
Frans : Sorry, What did you say?
Dinda : I said “are you alright?”
Frans : Oh, yeah. I’m fine. Thanks
That’s all our post about Expression of Asking and Giving Clarification we can share in this occasion. We hope the post about Expression of Asking and Giving Clarification above can help us to improve our speaking skill so that we have more capability in increasing our English. (Also study other material in Indonesian version at : Menanyakan dan Menunjukkan Waktu)