Definition and Kinds of Preposition
In this post I will share about Definition and kinds of Preposition. In this topic of Definition and kinds of Preposition I will divide it in two parts, they are Definition of Preposition with its examples and List of kinds of Preposition with its examples too. (also see : Definition and Kinds of Part of Speech)
Let’s go to the discussion of Definition and kinds of Preposition:
A preposition is a word or set of words that shows the relationship between a word in the sentence and the word that is the object of the preposition.
Prepositions can never be alone, so it makes sense to learn about prepositions in their phrases.
Remember that A preposition isn’t a preposition unless it goes with a related noun or pronoun.
- In the vase. in (preposition) the vase (object)
- With the polka-dots. with (preposition) the polka-dots (object)
- Before the desk. before (preposition) the desk (object).
- To the movie. to (preposition) the movies (object)
- After science class. after (preposition) science class (object)
- On your tiptoes. on (preposition) your tiptoes (object)
The professor can sit on the desk and I sit after him. The professor can sit on (preposition) the desk (preposition) and I sit after (preposition) him (object)
The words of the vase, the polka-dots, the desk, the movies, science class and tiptoes are nouns,
The word “him” is pronoun.
Below is the complete list of kinds of Preposition.
by means of
in addition to
in back of
in case of
in front of
in place of
in spite of
on top of
Examples in sentences
- The flower in the vase is a peony.
- The umbrella with the polka-dots is Jane’s.
- We will be going to the movies.
- My lunch period is after science.
- You are walking on your tiptoes.
That’s all about Definition and kinds of Preposition I can share in this occasion. Hopefully the material of Definition and kinds of Preposition above can be useful for us to increase our English, especially in Grammar. (also see : Definition and Kinds of Pronoun)