Recreation to Komodo Island. Komodo Island is now established as part of the Komodo National Park located in the province of East Nusa Tenggara is a world heritage by the animal or giant lizard Komodo thought the only surviving ancient animals that inhabit this island. The island is located on the west island of Sumbawa. Administratively, this island includes the District of Komodo, West Manggarai at the west end of East Nusa Tenggara Province, Indonesia.
Komodo dragons (Varanus komodoensis) are rare species that are almost extinct, you can only find them in the Komodo National Park. Because of the uniqueness and rarity, Komodo National Park declared as a World Heritage Site and Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 1986.
Komodo is a giant lizard-like creature with large has 2-3 m long and weight up to 165 kg,. Despite the scary appearance, komodo dragons are not active hunters’ animals, they are a patient predator. In the wild, Komodo dragons hunt weak prey or have been injured. They only took one bite to paralyze their prey. After stalking their prey, sometimes for days, komodp dragons will eat their prey that was almost dying.
Although the komodo is large in size, scaly, sharp nails, protruding forked tongue and the shape of the ancient so it is well known as the komodo dragon but you do not need to be afraid of it as sordid as it was, as every visitor including those who want to see this animal will be accompanied by the rangers as well as handler. You only need to comply with all instructions and suggestions from experienced guide.
Tourism Object on Komodo Island
There are at least 2500 komodo dragons live in this region. Large dragons usually have length of 3 m and weighs 90 kg. Komodo Dragons’ habitat are in open grassland savanna, rainforest, white sandy beaches, coral reefs and crystal clear water beaches. In this area, you can also find horses, wild buffalo, deer, wild male boar, snakes, monkeys, and various types of birds.
Komodo National Park also has amazing underwater life, you can sunbathe on the white beaches, diving and snorkeling to see the amazing of coral reefs and marine life. Waters of Komodo Island is one of the best diving sites in the world. It has amazing underwater view. You can find 385 of beautiful coral species, mangrove forests, and seaweeds as a home for thousands of species of fish, 70 types of sponges, 10 species of dolphins, six kinds of whales, green sea turtles, and many species of sharks and stingrays.
For traveling during in Komodo Island you are required to have strong stamina due to find komdo dragons in their natural habitat and you must walk up the mountain. But to enjoy the natural beauty and beaches, it has provided various types of motor boats in which they can also be hired and used as lodge at dusk.
Travelling Trips in Komodo Island
- Do not go alone. It’s better going with a tour guide or park ranger.
- Do not disturb or feed the komodo dragons. Although their movement are slow and lazy, these animals can suddenly become aggressive and move quickly.
- When doing tracking, take a forked stick. Komodo usually scared when bullied by a stick.
- Bring insect repellent or use anti mosquito lotion.
- Most of the places on the Komodo Island is flammable savanna grassland during the dry season, so no smoking and starting a fire.
- Wear shoes because there are 12 species and 3 of them are poisonous snakes in Komodo Island, for example, green snakes that live in trees, cobras and russel’s viper that live in the holes of savanna grassland.
- Women who are menstruating should report to the guide or officer in order to be more attention. Komodo dragons have keen sense of smell and they can be aggressive if they smell blood.
Have a nice travel to Komodo Island!None found.