So, we can say that the descriptive text is the text that describes what kind of person or an object described, good shape, properties, number and others in particular. Goal (purpose) of the descriptive text is clear, namely to explain, DESCRIBE or disclose a specific individual or object.
- Identification: contains the identification of matter / a will be described.
- Description: contains the explanation / description of the thing / person to mention a few properties.
- Specific participant has a certain object, is not common and unique (only one). for example: Bandengan beach, my house, Borobudur temple, uncle Jim
- The use of the adjective (an adjective) to clarify the noun (noun) for example, be used for the following expression: a beautiful beach, a handsome man, the famous place in Jepara, etc..
- Use the present tense sentence patterns simple sentence patterns used are simple present for telling the facts of object descriptions.
- Action verbs, there are verbs that show an activity (activity can be seen), for example: run, sleep, walk, cut etc.
Example of Descriptive Text :
MY SPHINX CAT
My Sphinx cat is the only pet I have. He has a little hair but is not totally hairless as he has a peach fuzz over much of his body. His coat is often a warm chamois. My Sphinx has a normal cat proportion.
I like his tail although my mom say that it is like a rats tail. I love his usual color varieties including, tortoiseshell, chocolate, black, blue, lilac, chocolate etc. He is really an amazing cat. Believe it or not, he is very intelligent cat. He can respond my voice commands.
Generic structure analysis :
1.Identification: My Sphinx cat
- Description : He has a little hair but is not totally hairless as he has a peach fuzz over much of his body. His coat is often a warm chamois. My Sphinx has a normal cat proportion.
Another example about Descriptive Text
An elephant is the largest and strongest of all animals. It is a strange looking animal which it has thick legs, huge sides and backs, large hanging ears, a small tail, little eyes, long white tusks and above all, elephant has a long nose, the trunk. An elephant is commonly seen in a zoo, it has hard found in it natural habitat.
The trunk is the elephant’s peculiar feature. This trunk has various usages. The elephant draws up water by its trunk and can squirt the water all over its body like a shower bath. The elephant’s trunk also lift leaves and put them into its mouth. In fact, the trunk serves the elephant as long arm and hand. An elephant looks very clumsy and heavy and yet an elephant can move very quickly.
The elephant is very intelligent animal. Its intelligence combined with its great strength makes an elephant a very useful servant to man. Elephant can be trained to serve in various ways such as carry heavy loads, hunt for tigers and even fight. An elephant is really a smart animal.