Generic Structure of Narrative Text. As we know there are many kinds of text so in this occasion I want to share about Narrative Text. In this case I want to share about the function, generic structure and example of Narrative Text. The explanation is below.
<> Function :
- a spoken or written account of connected events of a story.
- the narrated part of a literary work, as distinct from dialogue.
- the practice or art of narration.
So it can be concluded that a narrative text is a text which contains a story either written or unwritten, and there is a series of connected events. and the social function is to entertain or amuse the reader or listener.
<> Generic Structure of Narrative Text :
- Orientation: It is about the opening paragraph where the characters of the story are introduced
- Complication: Where the problems in the story developed.
- Resolution: Where the problems in the story is solved.
Sometimes the arrangement (generic structure) of narrative text can contain: Orientation, Complication, Evaluation, Resolution and Reorientation. Although the “Evaluation” and”Reorientation” is optional; may be added, and could not. Evaluation provides assessment /evaluation of the course of the story or conflict. While Reorientation contains content inference ending.
- Description of characters and places using:
Adjectives to describe nouns – heavy, frosty, transparent, grumpy
- Adverbs – to describe verbs – quickly, secretly, quietly, energetically, suddenly
- Similes – to compare one thing with another, using like or as … as – as bright as the moon, the kiss felt like a butterfly’s wings against her cheek
- Time words – Once upon a time, long ago, then, last week
- Verbs indicating actions in the story – hid, ate, ran, whispered, looked
Grammar (grammar) that often arise in making the narrative text are:
<> Example Narrative text :
In the wood she felt very tired and hungry. Then she saw this cottage. She knocked but no one answered so she went inside and felt asleep
Meanwhile seven dwarfs were coming home from work. They went inside. There, they found Snow White woke up. She saw the dwarfs. The dwarfs said; “What is your name?”. Snow White said; “My name is Snow White”. One of the dwarfs said; “If you wish, you may live here with us”. Snow White told the whole story about her. Then Snow white and the seven dwarfs lived happily ever after.
Generic Structure Analysis :
- Orientation; introducing specific participants; Snow White
- Complication; revealing a series of crisis: Snow White’s aunt and uncle would leave her in a castle, Snow White run away, Snow White felt hungry in the wood.
- Resolution; the crisis is resolve: the dwarfs permitted Snow White lived in their cottage lived happily
Another example of Narrative Text
The Smartest Animal
Once there was a farmer from Laos. Every morning and every evening, he ploughed his field with his buffalo.
One day, a tiger saw the farmer and his buffalo working in the field. The tiger was very surprised to see a big animal listening to a small animal. The tiger wanted to know more about the big animal and the small animal.
The tiger asked; “can you tell me how intelligent he is?”. “No, I can’t tell you”, said the buffalo; “but you can ask him”
So the next day the tiger asked to the man; “Can I see your intelligence?”. But the man answered; “it at home”. “Can you go and get it?” asked the tiger. “Yes” said the man; “but I am afraid you will kill my buffalo when I am gone. Can I tie you to a tree?”
After the man tied the tiger to the tree, he didn’t go home to get his intelligence. He took his plough and hit the tiger. Then he said; “Now you know about my intelligence even you haven’t seen it.
Generic Structure Analysis :
- Orientation; introducing specific participants; farmer and his buffalo, once in Laos
- Complication; revealing a series of crisis: the tiger wanted to know more about the farmer and the buffalo, the tiger wanted to know about the farmer’s intelligence.
- Resolution; the crisis is resolve: the farmer hit the tiger