There some Auxiliary Modals in English we have to know when we study about sentence. However, in this occasion we will only study Modal “WILL”. In this case we will study Function and Pattern of Auxiliary Modal WILL so that we will be familiar to this auxiliary. (also study : Function and Pattern of Auxiliary Modal COULD)
Before studying about the function and its examples, it is better we study the pattern or the form of sentence using Modal WILL. As other auxiliary modals, the pattern of Modal WILL is able be shown as below:
- We will play football.
- They will study together.
- Jack will go to Makkah.
( – ) Subject + Will + not + infinitive (verb 1) + Complement
- We will not play football.
- They will not study together.
- Jack will not go to Makkah.
- She will not come here = She won’t come here.
- Bambang will not attend the meeting = Bambang won’t attend the meeting.
( ? ) Will + Subject + infinitive (verb 1) + Complement
- Will we play football?
- Will they study together?
- Will Jack go to Makkah?
Below is the explanation about Function and Example of Auxiliary Modal WILL
The Function of Modal WILL
There are some functions of Auxiliary Modal “WILL” that is able to be studied, they are:
1. To talk about future actions or future states (not plans)
- I hope he will pass his exams.
- She’ll be very happy to hear this.
- They will not be here on time.
- You won’t feel a thing.
2. For promises or intentions
- Leave it, I will do the dishes.
- It must be Joe at the door, so I’ll get it.
- I won’t do that again, I promise.
- Wait for me at the airport. I will pick you up.
That’s all the material of Function and Pattern of Auxiliary Modal WILL we can share for this occasion. We hope the material about Function and Pattern of Auxiliary Modal WILL above can improve our understanding about English, especially about auxiliary modal WILL. (also study other material in Indonesian version at : Rumus Simple Present Tense)