There some Auxiliary Modals in English we have to know when we study about sentence. However, in this occasion we will only study Modal “MUST”. In this case we will study Function and Pattern of Auxiliary Modal MUST so that we will be familiar to this auxiliary. (Also see : Function and Pattern of Auxiliary Modal MAY)
Before studying about the function and its examples, it is better we study the pattern or the form of sentence using Modal MUST. As other auxiliary modals, the pattern of Modal MUST is able to be shown as below:
( – ) Subject + Must + not + infinitive (verb 1) + Complement
- We must not come on time.
- They must not study together.
- Jack must go to the office.
- We must not come on time. = We mustn’t come on time.
- They must not study together. = They mustn’t study together.
( ? ) Must + Subject + infinitive (verb 1) + Complement
- Must we come on time?
- Must they study together?
- Must Jack go to the office?
Below is the explanation about Function and Example of Auxiliary Modal MUST
The Function of Modal MUST
There are some functions of Auxiliary Modal “MUST” that is able to be studied, they are:
- You must stop the car when the traffic light turns red.
- You must pay your taxes.
- She must stop drinking if she wants to keep her job.
- I must go now, otherwise I will miss my train.”
- You mustn’t steal.
- He mustn’t talk to his parents like that.
- The fruit of this bush must not be eaten because it is toxic.
2. To show that something is very logical or very likely to be true
- He left at noon, so he must be there already.
- She is not stupid, so she must have known what she was doing!
- They must be really rich to live in such a house.
That’s all the material of Function and Pattern of Auxiliary Modal MUST we can share for this occasion. We hope the material about Function and Pattern of Auxiliary Modal MUST above can improve our understanding about English, especially about auxiliary modal MUST. (read other article in Indonesian version at : Penjelasan Lengkap dan Contoh Descriptive Text)