Difference of Between and Among
Talking about Difference of Between and Among, it is a common misconception that between is used with two things and among is used with three or more things. As we know that many people believe between should be used for choices involving two items and among for choices that involve more than two items. That can be right concept, but it’s not as simple as that concept. (also read : Difference Countable and Uncountable Noun)
In fact, we can use the word between when we are talking about distinct, individual items even if there are more than two of them. For example, we could say, “She chose between Robby, Brown, and Amir” because the colleges are individual things.
- Both “Among” and “between” are prepositions in the English language used to compare or relate 2 or more things.
- Generally, “between” applies to 2 choices, while “among” is the appropriate term to connect 3 or more choices.
Examples of between:
- You must choose between pencil and pen.
- Keep this secret only between you and me.
- You need to know what happen between my parents and yours.
Examples of among:
- The detective tried to find a culprit among those suspects.
- There is a corruptor among our friends.
- He has to choose one car among three expensive cars.
Now let’s study deeply about Difference of Between and Among below:
- She was trapped between molten lava and the sea.
- I hid the note between two rocks.
- The cameraman was between the zebras and the pride.
When used in this way, between is used with two separate, distinct things (e.g., lava and the sea, a rock and another rock, zebra and the pride).
The words separate and distinct are important because you only use between when the things that follow are separate and distinct. Of course, between is used in other meanings to other than telling us where things are located, but the words that follow between are always separate and distinct things. For example:
- Sadness is but a wall between two gardens. (Khalil Gibran)
- Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower. (Steve Jobs)
(When a comparison is being offered for separate and distinct things, use “between”.)
Between Can Be Used with More Than Two Things
“Between” can be used with three or more things as long as they are separate and distinct.
- Share the sweets between Peter, Patrice, Freddy, and Dandy.
- Education is a shared commitment between dedicated teachers, motivated students, and enthusiastic parents with high expectations. (Bob Beauprez)
- If you live among wolves, you have to act like a wolf. (The term wolves does not portray separate and distinct things. It portrays a group.)
- There is honor among thieves. (The term thieves does not portray separate and distinct things. It portrays a group.)
- He was glad to find a friend among enemies.
- She felt like a stranger among friends.
- Sylvia was later found living among the natives.
That’s all my post about Difference of Between and Among I can share to you. I hope the post above can improve our understanding about Difference of Between and Among. (also read : DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HOME AND HOUSE)