Definition of Recount Text. A recount text is a text which tells about something that happened in the past. The details in a recount can include what happened, who was involved, where it took place, when it happened and why it occurred. Its purpose or goal is to entertain or inform about the past activity to the reader or listener
Recount text can be factual information, such as a news story or procedural information, such as telling someone how you built something or personal information, such as a family holiday or your opinion on a subject.
- Orientation : It is about introduction the participants, place and time. It tells who was involved, what happened, where the events took place, and when it happened.
- Events : Describing series of event that happened in the past. Telling what happened and in what sequence.
- Reorientation : It is optional. It consists of closure of events/ending. It is stating personal comment of the writer to the story
- Introducing personal participant; I, we, my group, etc.
- Using chronological connection; then, first, after that, etc.
- Using linking verb; was, were, saw, heard, etc.
- Using action verb; buy, go, speak, etc.
- Using simple past tense
Example of Recount text :
My Holiday in Bali
First day, we visited Sanur Beach in the morning. We saw the beautiful sunrise together. It was a great scenery. Then, we checked in to the hotel. After prepared ourselves, we went to Tanah Lot. We met so many other tourists there. They were not only domestic but also foreign tourists.
Second day, we enjoyed the day on Tanjung Benoa beach. We played so many water sports such as banana boat, jetsky, speedboat etc. We also went to Penyu Island to see many unique animals. They were turtles, snakes, and sea birds. We were very happy. In the afternoon, we went to Kuta Beach to see the amazing sunset and enjoyed the beautiful wave.
The last day, we spent our time in Sangeh. We could enjoy the green and shady forest. There were so many monkeys. They were so tame but sometimes they could be naughty. We could make a close interaction with them. After that, we went to Sukowati market for shopping. That was my lovely time. I bought some Bali T-Shirt and souvenirs.
In the evening, we had to check out from the hotel. We went back home bringing so many amazing memories of Bali.
Generic Structure Analysis :
- Orientation : Paragraph one ( When I was 2nd grade of senior high school, my friends and I went to Bali.)
- Event :Paragraph two, three, four ( First day, Second day ,The last day )
- Reorientation : Last paragraph (We went back home bringing so many amazing memories of Bali.)
Last morning, Dinar, my roommate woke up late and she had to go to campus.
When she wanted to take her motorcycle, in fact she couldn’t move it because there were some motorcycles that blocked up her motorcycle.
She tried to move all of the motorcycles, so that her motorcycle could move from the garage. But she couldn’t do it.
Generic Structure Analysis
- Orientation : paragraph one (Last morning, Dinar, my roommate woke up late and she had to go to campus )
- Event :Paragraph two, paragraph three (When she wanted to take her motorcycle, in fact she.couldn’t move it because there were some motorcycles that blocked up her motorcycle)
- Reorientation : Last paragraph ( Finally, she could move her motorcycle and rode it to go to campus )